Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day Pierogis


Do you remember the first meal you ever cooked for your significant other? Mine was about 6 years ago, and my first meal for now-husband T was Pierogi's! I am 100% Polish, and I love to make the dishes that Grandma used to make. I don't make Pierogi's often, though, teeny kitchen on the boat, teeny cutting board for rolling out dough. I save them for a special occassion, and that's what I made for T for this Valentine's Day. I made three fillings: sauerkraut with onion, potato with onion, and mushroom with cheese, and halved the recipe so I made 18. Of course this took all afternoon, but it was worth it!
First you make the dough, roll it, and stuff it
Then you boil them a few at a time until they float

And then you pan fry them in butter! Serve with sour cream and applesauce...mmm just like Grandma used to make!

I also served them with a side of pickled beets.

The budget went REALLY well this week...we spent only $46, so we were able to put $59 into the vacation fund! We try to do a budget of $105 for the week, food and drink, and the extra goes for vacation! So this is what we ate:

Sunday: Superbowl party at friends, we brought chips and homemade salsa


Monday: Squash soup and Au Gratin potatoes


Tuesday: Visiting friends took us to dinner at Schnitzel House. We had schnitzel.


Wednesday: Made a pizza with goat cheese, olives, tomato, cilantro, and cheddar


Thursday: Baked Potatoes, I had mine with soup and T had his with steak


Friday: Asparagus and mushroom crepes


Saturday: Tapas- almonds, olives, bread


Our hanging tomato plant is doing great! We still have tons of blossoms and 8 tomatoes that I hope to be eating soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment