Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Best Gravy...From the Weirdest Ingredients

We such a small oven on the boat that cooking a turkey is out of the question, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I asked my husband to make his famous turkey and cranberry chili. He won’t tell me the recipe, but it involves turkey and dried cranberries. I set off for the ingedients, and rather than the dried cranberries, I bought fresh. They looked so good, and I have never actually eaten a fresh raw cranberry. Well, husband absolutely insisted that fresh wouldn’t work in the chili, so I had to find another recipe to use the cranberries. I stumbled upon Brisket with Cranberries, and the ingredients sounded so weird I knew I had to try it: brisket, a pack of dried onion soup mix, a bottle of catalina dressing, and a bag of cranberries. The recipe called for combining everything and roasting, but I did mine in the crockpot with some pork shoulder.

The shoulder was a little fatty, so I had to skim some grease off but the sauce tasted amazing! I made a gravy out of it, and it is my new favorite - fruity and meaty. We put the pork in bowls, topped with mashed potatoes and the gravy. I will definitely make this again, though maybe try chicken next time.

We came in $7 under budget for the week, and this is what else we ate for the week: Jerk Chicken, BLT’s with soup, Burritos with rice, Veggie Calzones, and a Mediterranean Tuna Salad. And Thanksgiving, of course. We went to a friend’s for dinner- no cooking, no cleaning, perfect!

We received this huge papaya from a friend's tree...I think I may make a salsa out of it!
Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you write and I think I have a blog crush on you! :) I'd love the recipe for the tuna salad. I hate tuna (unless tuna steaks) but my husband adores it so I am always looking for new recipes. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! The recipe can be found here:
    http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/mediterranean-tuna-antipasto-salad-for-two-recipe-5286?click=recipe_sr
    I have to say I did not like this salad...I don't like the taste or texture of cold chickpeas...might try it again with a substitution!

    ReplyDelete